Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What does it mean to YOU?

I tried to do my laundry last nite. That was a big mistake. Incidentally, when is "nite" going to officially be the correct spelling for the word "night"? It's about time. How does one petition that sorta thing, because writing "nite" and having Firefox underline it in red is really starting to piss me off.

So there's this 24-hour laundromat on the corner here in beautiful Bangledeshi Brooklyn. So I get my stuff in the wash around 10pm, because I've been contemplating the mysteries of the universe until that time, ok? Anyways, stuff is in the dryer around 11:15. Now it's totally cool to leave and come back and nobody steals your crap which is great. So at 12:20, as I leave the apartment and walk to the corner to unload my dryer full of clothes that I payed to dry for 64 minutes, imagine my surprise at seeing the owner of said 24-hour laundromat walking towards me. I asked her, "are you still open?". The next is a series of events that I'm not quite sure actually happened, because I really can't fathom it.

In some sort of Enlgish/Russian/Angry tone of voice, she explained to me that they were closed.

"But you're a 24-hour laundromat... open 24-hours... it says so on the giant illuminated sign out front".

"Who's going to pay to keep it open 24-hours. Who pays for the electricity?"

"I dunno... why are you a 24-hour laundromat?"

"Who pays? YOU PAY?"

"No. I'm sorry, I just assumed when I put my clothes in for an hour that the laundromat would be open an hour later when I came to get my clothes".

"I put alarm on for police now"

"Would it be too much trouble just to open up and let me get my things, it'll be two minutes and we're right here"

"Come back, 7 am."

"Please, I had no idea, the giant sign out front that says, 'Laundromat, 24-hours, 7-days' confused me into thinking for some reason that you were open 24-hours"

"Who will pay for that?"

"I'm sure I don't know"

And it went on like this for approximately 10 minutes. The short of it is, I got my shit out of there, but not before promising to never again assume that the place would be open. Yeah.

Also, pretty sure the mouse (mice) that are living in the apartment here are getting fat on the bait, but not doing that whole "dying" thing. Like when one of em actually destroyed the trap that neither Matt nor I knows how to work, and managed to get out with the peanut butter bait, without losing his head or at the very least, a tail piece...

Yeah...

2 comments:

The Brown Dumper said...

"24 hours".. its kinda like when a girl tells you that you have a "big penis"

Harley Pierpont said...

Stop using peanut-butter and poison those fucking RATS. I know you're a democrat and all, but kill those fucking things already.