Monday, September 29, 2008

Super Cute

So, I started one of my new teaching gigs today— for those of you who don't know, teaching music to under-privileged kids in town. We set up the instruments, and demo-ed em for the kiddies. The first was a group of 6th graders. During this session, after we'd played the instruments, we let them come and try some instruments. My table was the brass table (obvi). I had a trumpet and a trombone there. Most kids gravitated towards the trumpet (probably because it's like totally the awesomest ever). But one little guy, immediately took to the trombone. He actually made a good sound on the thing, and seemed to fit him naturally. He tried the trumpet, but couldn't make a buzz (a common thread amoung some of the kids, that the trombone buzzed easier, leading to my new theory that trombone is the easiest instrument ever, other than saxaphone and euphonium). Long story, somewhat shorter, all the kids signed up for their top 3 instrument choices, and the kid came up to me and asked, "Will there be enough trombones? I really want to play it. I have to play it. The music is in me".

And I totally thought that was just about the best thing I've ever heard.

1 comment:

cg said...

i love this story. :)