Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spiritual Awakening

I had a moment of clarity this Easter morning. Somewhere between the resurrection according to Matthew, and the Hallelujah Chorus. You see, I've been assumed by some, accused by others of being anti-religion. I mean, I don't find fault with people because they are religious. I don't think that organized religion is for me, that's all. Let me reiterate: I don't fault people for being religious. I feel like a spiritual person. I have thoughts about the nature of life and death, humanity, and creation. The thing is, I'm suspicious of organized religion because I know a bit about the history of religion. And I can't bring myself to be told what I should believe and what I should not. How I should believe. What to worship and how to behave. Maybe that makes me a heathen. I think more likely I'm a hedonist. I like things that make me feel good. I like to eat. I like to drink. I like to fuck. I like to sloth it up. I like to lust after hot chicks I see in the Village. I like to covet... things.

So, I realized what my religion is on Sunday. I worship at the altar of technology. Literally. I was sitting in the altar room of a church between two services, and rather than my usual Easter tradition of reading Deuteronomy, I found myself reading Google News on my iPhone. And it hit me. There I was sitting in a place of worship, and in my own way I was worshiping. I mean, I had all the news and information a boy could desire. And I was sitting in reverence to the technological marvel in my hand. So yeah, religion is that of technological innovation. Of information. Of being informed and alert and generally up-to-date. And in these ways it makes me think it couldn't possibly be any less of a religion.

And Seth, have no fear, my usual woman-bashing (I prefer to think of it as man-enhancing), fucked up shit that happens to me tales are still bountiful on the Gurftastic Blog. But there's more of that good stuff on The Sack-Up blog. It's a blog dedicated to sacking-up and being a man. Written by Gurftastic, Mafoo, and Selly. Good shit. Check it out.

No comments: